Districts and Streets of Edinburgh
Home View Apartments Property Owners Serviced Apartments Self Catering Business Edinburgh Guide Contact Us

Edinburgh Districts and Streets

Edinburgh New Town

Edinburgh Districts and Streets

The New Town is considered a masterpiece of city planning, and was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995. The New Town was built in stages between 1765 and 1850, and retains much of the original Georgian and Victorian architecture.

George Street named after King George the III, is the principle street that the new town was built around. Queens Street was named after George the III's wife, Charlotte Square (Formerly Saint George square) and Saint Andrews square were named in honour of the union between Scotland and England, with the same
idea being maintained for Thistle Street and Rose Street. Princes Street was named in honour of George the III's sons, Frederick Street (King George's father) and Hanover Street (the Royal family name), are named for the views of Edinburgh castle.

Later additions saw the linking of the New Town with the older villages of Stockbridge, Dean, Canonmills, and Silvermills. Notable buildings located in the New Town include the National Gallery of Scotland, the Royal Scottish Academy, The Scottish National Portrait Gallery, the Assembly Rooms, and the Scott Monument.

Edinburgh Old Town

The Old Town was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995. Notable streets of the Old Town include the Royal Mile which is actually made up of four distinct streets named Castlehill, the Lawnmarket, the High Street and the Canongate.

Notable places include the Scottish Parliament Building, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the General Assembly Hall of the Church of Scotland, the Royal Museum of Scotland, Surgeons' Hall, the University of Edinburgh.

Typical the layout of the Old Town is similar to that of the old quarters of many northern European cities, but is made picturesque in Edinburgh, as Edinburgh Castle perches on top of the remnants of an extinct volcano. In the 17th centaury the Old Town had a population of approximately 80,000 people, now however there are currently approximately 20,000 residents in the Old Town. Many of buildings were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1824; the rebuilding on the original foundations led to changes in the ground level and the creation of many passages and vaults under the Old Town.

tel: +44 (0) 7973 345559
fax: +44 (0) 7970 505329
email:
Resources Terms & Conditions Site Map © All Rights Reserved